Applicants must meet the following criteria.
- Be a resident of Michigan.
- Be currently enrolled at an accredited Michigan university or college, either full-time or part-time.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible; undergraduates must have attained at least junior level status (60 credits).
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to national security or defense.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Be a woman.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
Fields of Study
The program focuses on the following preferred fields of study: security studies, military history, government relations, engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics, business (as it relates to national security or defense), law (as it relates to national security or defense), international relations, political science, economics and medicine. Others will be considered if the applicant can successfully demonstrate relevance to a career in the areas of national security or defense.
Awards are based on academic achievement, participation in defense and national security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, recommendations, and financial need. Awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, or religion. HORIZONS-Michigan reserves the right to revise, suspend or discontinue this program without notice.
Interested in applying? Click here for our 2013 application. Submission deadline is August 31, 2013. Recipients will be announced at the 2013 Black Tie Gala, November 8, 2013. Awards will be applied toward the following Winter/Spring semester.